Flumist® is a live, attenuated (weakened) influenza vaccine, called LAIV. It is sprayed into the nostrils (intra-nasal) and is approved for people from 2 through 59 years of age, who do not have underlying medical conditions that predisposes them to influenza complications and who are not pregnant (see below for more information).
The Flumist® flu vaccine is thimerosal and preservative free.
People who should NOT be vaccinated with Flumist® nasal spray flu vaccine include:
- Children younger than 2 years
- Adults 60 years and older
- Women who are pregnant
- Anyone with a history of severe allergic reaction to eggs, any component of the vaccine or to a previous dose of any influenza vaccine
- Anyone with pulmonary disease including asthma or reactive airways disease
- Anyone with underlying certain medical conditions including: chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (excluding hypertension), renal, hepatic, neurologic/neuromuscular, hematologic, or metabolic (including diabetes) disorders; immunosuppression, including that caused by medications or HIV.
- Children or adolescents who are receiving aspirin therapy or aspirin-containing therapy.
Influenza vaccines are available year round and especially during flu season at all Passport Health Travel Clinic. Please call us to check for specific availability of this flu vaccine option.